Monday 1 November 2021

Back in the Game - soon to be out of it?

Well, I have been sitting at my desk writing. It's progress. I have also been tweeting, but that's all part of the fun of being a writer. Smiley face emoji. 

I went to work this morning for the first time in a while, because my elderly client has had Covid. I think I wrote here about that yesterday. Anyway, he said he was sure he was over it and I needed to start earning again (self-employed; don't work, don't get paid). The first thing I did when I arrived was to carry out a lateral flow test (poor old thing, who wants to be woken up to that). Horror, it was positive. Additional horror, he coughed directly in my face as the swab tickled his tonsils. 

I was wearing my mask, but even if I wasn't a hypochondriac I would be sure that I have contracted the virus. So now I can't visit my other elderly client (I only see her once a week for an hour, but I'll miss her) because I might be incubating Covid. She's not willing to risk it and I am glad because I wouldn't want to put her in danger. 

When I finished work I had to do M's shopping, so I dropped that off (I shopped carefully, masked etc) and bought a few things for our household too, in case I am about to be housebound. 

I'll do a lateral flow test daily, I'll soon find out.

I wish I'd waited a few days before going back. M did need some food shopping and he was desperate for a shower (I don't assist, but am on hand in case he falls, he hasn't got the confidence to do it alone). But I wish I'd thought harder, because if I have the virus it'll mean I'll have to take another ten days off work, during which time he'll have to manage without me. Plus, my family might catch it, spread it, have to isolate etc. 

Ah well. The thing is, government guidance is that carers can work, as long as they have been double vaccinated (which I have). This puts pressure on us to help our clients, because we know how they rely on us and we don't want to let them down. M kept telling me that the girl on the phone, when he called in with the lateral flow result (the first one, a week ago) said that I could work, and he found it hard to accept that actually I couldn't, due to members of my family visiting because another family member is very unwell... I held out for as long as I could, and I wish I'd waited until I was sure the virus was out of his system. 

And this is how bugs spread, despite our best efforts.

Maybe I'll have extra time now, to write those words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment