Tuesday 2 November 2021

Quickly...

I have to start cooking the dinner soon. The evening meal in our house used to be at five pm; we kept nursery hours for many years. This was because we had four young children and also because I am and have always been a hungry sort of person, and used to be disciplined enough not to snack between meals, which meant that I was ravenous by mealtimes. 

The discipline has gone AWOL. I snack a lot and so I don't get ravenous any more. Also, the children have grown. Two are now adults, away at University for a large part of the year, and the other two are teenagers. Huge, hulking boys, in fact. If they ate dinner at five o'clock, they'd need another meal at eight. 

So we eat at seven. The boys still have a snack after school (for snack, read chicken sandwich or similar) and they come down to snack later. The change of mealtimes...where was I going with this? Oh yes, quick blog, about to cook.

I can't now remember what I was about to write. Oh yes... I have been working today, after my fashion. I wrote around a thousand words of a novel, a respectable amount, in between walking the dogs and letting the dogs in and out of the back garden about a million times. And going to visit my elderly client, and having a PCR test and sorting out the washing and so on. 

I used to think it wasn't a sacrifice, looking after the family, that I couldn't be doing anything more useful or enjoyable and I wouldn't have had much of a career anyway. Recently, I have started to see things differently. I wonder whether if, for the last 22 years, Paul had spent his time nurturing the family and doing all the washing, cooking and cleaning, I might have achieved something. If I'd had a back-up person so that I could focus on my career as he has done...

But it wouldn't have been possible. I needed those children as much as they needed me, perhaps more. I couldn't have delegated their care. I can only begin to let go now because it is screamingly obvious that they don't need me like they used to. I am more reluctant to let go, even now, than they are. 

And, of course, I am only able to think in terms of what I can achieve in my career because I have them in my life, because I have 'achieved' parenthood (or did I have it thrust upon me? Or both?)

And of course, I am not free yet, just more free than I was. I do have all day to get on with my writing (after the house stuff and dog stuff and care work stuff is done) but I still has to cook the dinner. 

(Deliberate error, I find it amusing.)

And bye for now. I'll write another blog post tomorrow. I'm trying to get back into practice. Hopefully tomorrow I'll think of something interesting to write about (smiley face emoji). 


No comments:

Post a Comment