Saturday 15 December 2012

'It's all very iffy, this diagnosis business'

Quote of the year - from the professor of psychiatry at the University of Toronto, Dr Gordon Warme, - 'It's all very iffy, this diagnosis business'.

Quite.

Thirty years ago, he was taught by the psychiatrist (and icon) Karl Menninger that, 'Calling somebody a schizophrenic is no different from calling somebody a nigger'.  Again, a point that I have been trying to make - I am astounded how many seemingly rational people apparently think 'Schizophrenic' is an appropriate and/or helpful term. 

I'm going to put Dr Warme's book - 'Daggers of the Mind: Psychiatry and the Myth of Mental Disease' on my Christmas list.  (Which means I will buy it for myself).

Below is the link to the YouTube video - less than 2 minutes long.  It's definitely worth the time, to hear such an eminently sensible man speak!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Fv46oTgwqZM

No comments:

Post a Comment