Tuesday 2 August 2011

Speed is of the Essence

Hi Everyone

I am approaching this blog post in what is obviously not the right way - I want to get it done quickly so that I can get on with the day...  I feel an irresistable pull to the beach.  I have a two week share in a beach hut with some friends.  It started yesterday.  I was going to wait until the weekend when Paul could come with me, because I wasn't sure if I could cope with the walk to the hut.  I had not been before and I didn't know what to expect.

But it was such a lovely day yesterday that I didn't want to miss out.  I had to organise two lifts, because there are so many of us, and that wasn't easy.  But it worked out really well - it was not too hard to get to the hut from the car park, and once I was there I could sit with my feet up because there were two other adults to help with my kids (and look after their own of course).  And I won't feel bad now about asking for lifts, because it is such a lovely part of the beach - close to the loos and the water tap, a reasonable distance from the ice cream kisoks.  And the hut is so useful for changing, shelter, and some catering, especially cups of tea.  So anybody who takes us will benefit too.

I really appreciate my friends just now - I am very lucky to know so many nice people.  I hate being dependent - but actually it is surprising how quickly you can get used to it.  It was very odd yesterday being a passenger in someone else's car - but nice in a way too, not to have to worry about parking and so on.  And it has been good to have so much company over the last couple of weeks - I have not been forgotten.  In fact, my book group gave me a voucher for a pedicure last night - how thoughtful is that?  The same book group that I used to have to pluck up my courage to attend when it started seven and a half years ago, because they were all such professional, together women - these people are now my friends! 

I have another friend coming to visit today, with her brand new baby.  I can't wait!  Although she is one of the only people that I haven't yet told about my diagnosis - I don't have her email address so she didn't get the shocking 'I am a schizophrenic' email, and she has been a bit busy with her new baby so I don't really want to blather on about my slight deviation from the norm. 

I am not even sure whether I will tell her today - I think I will have to wait and see whether I think she could cope with it just now.  Baby is only about a week old, and that is an odd time - in some ways you are on top of the world, and you often look much better than people expect (this particular friend is very glam and I expect she will look amazing) but one should never underestimate the effects of sleep deprivation.

Actually, update - I just spoke to her on the phone.  Baby is two weeks old (already!) and sleeping a seven hour stretch at night.  So my friend is going to look and feel amazing.  Lucky Mummy.  I still don't know if I will tell her though!

Anyway, I really should get on with the day now.  Toddler has just set up his refrain, 'Nobody will play with me!' and that is my signal to pack away this machine and get on with life in the real world.  Try to organise two lifts to the beach for the morning perhaps...

Take care everybody. 

Louise x

No comments:

Post a Comment